This website works best using cookies which are currently blocked. Allow cookies? Allow More info

Listen to this page

Text size A A A Accessibility

Safety in the kitchen

two saucepans on fire on a gas hobThe kitchen can be one of the most hazardous places in the home, so follow these tips:

  • Keep pans out of the reach of children.
  • Always supervise children in the kitchen.
  • Don’t put anything metal in the microwave.
  • Keep soft items such as tea towels and cloths away from cookers and toasters.
  • Keep the oven, hob and grill clean. A build up of fat and grease can easily catch fire. Clean the grill after you have used it to reduce the chances of it catching fire.
  • Never leave cooking unattended! A moment's distraction could be all it takes for a pan or grill to catch fire.
  • Double check the oven/hob is off when you have finished cooking.
  • Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing – they can easily catch fire.
  • Avoid cooking if you are tired, have been drinking alcohol or taking medication that might make you drowsy.

Deep Fat Frying

Oil and Fat can easily overheat and catch fire we would always recommend using a thermostat controlled deep fat fryer. If you are using a chip pan to deep fat fry follow the following tips;

  • Never fill a pan more than one-third full of fat or oil.
  • Dry the food before putting it in the pan and test the temperature of the oil by putting in a small piece of bread. If the bread crisps up quickly the oil is ready.
  • Never leave the pan unattended when the heat is switched on.
  • Check the pan handle is not sticking over the edge of the cooker, where it might get knocked off.
  • If the oil begins to give off smoke it is too hot.  Turn off the heat and leave the oil to cool.

If a pan does catch fire...

  • Do not tackle the fire yourself.
  • Do not move the pan. Turn off the heat if it is safe to do so, but never lean over the pan to reach the cooker controls.
  • Never throw water onto the fire.
  • Leave the room, close the door and call the Fire Service on 999.

Kitchen Electrical appliances and safety

  • Keep electrical leads away from water.
  • Don’t put anything metal in the microwave.
  • Don’t try to dry wet items (like socks!) in the microwave.
  • Do not leave items on the top of electric, halogen or induction hobs even if it turned off.
  • Check the toaster is clean and well away from curtains and other flammable items. Pull it forward from wall cupboards before using.
  • Do not overload sockets.  Appliances with motors or heating elements such as kettles, toasters, washing machines, dishwashers, tumble dryers, fridges and freezers take a lot of power and should have one plug per wall socket. Avoid using multiple adaptors for this type of equipment.
  • Don’t leave appliances such as washing machines or dishwashers on at night.
  • Register your white goods so you can informed of safety repairs or recalls  

Download our kitchen safety leaflet.

Ensure you have a smoke alarm on every level of your home and test them once a month.


Breaking news Rss
On Call (Retained) firefighter recruitment
On this page you can find out more about the Read more
Chief Executive and Monitoring Officer
Chief Executive and Monitoring Officer North Yorkshire’s Police, Fire and Crime Read more